Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Shamrock Swap Doll


I have several projects that I'm working on right now, but I thought I would show you how I'm making my Shamrock doll for a swap with another artist.

I decided to make a doll and have her sitting on a large shamrock pillow.  I couldn't decide on what type of doll to make, so I searched the web and looked at different types dolls. Finally deciding on a whimsical type doll...more of a cartoonish face.  I remembered that I had kept a body of a cheap china head doll that I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents.  This was perfect.



I guess in this case it paid off to be a hoarder of all the possible craft items.  I have closets full of possible items.  I just can't make myself throw something away that could make a great accessory to my art.  This doll had ceramic head and hands, that I didn't want, but the body was in perfect condition.  So I opted to make a new head and hands.


It looks a little spooky here, because I forgot to take a pic of it until I had already started painting.  I put a brown paint rub on to "tan" the skin of the clay by just painting on a watered down layer of brown paint, then wiping off the excess.  Then I began painting the facial features and a little white on the finger nails.

I think she turned out cute.  A rather sweet innocent type of face.  I poked holes in the collar of the clay so I can sew it to the body.  I forgot to do this on the arms, so they will just get glued on. 



Once I got the body assembled, it is now time to bring her to life.  I picked out material for her dress.  It's a green with pink polka dots and matching pink for a blouse of some type underneath, or trim. After I decided on the material, I needed to decide what color of hair she was going to have.  I wanted her to have a bright color of hair since she was considered a cartoon type character.
I laid her out with all the options and with the material so I could see what each one looked like.


She looks like a clown here.  But, in the end, I decided to only go with the red/pink color.

I think the color went well with the material.  I'm not sure about the style yet, but I will decide that later.  I will also have to decide on a style of clothes too.  

This is all I have completed on her so far.  Hopefully I will get her finished today so you can see the final doll.  I will also have to think of a name.   Details, details details.  

No comments: